As part of the Independent Living Resource Center’s “Empowering People with Disabilities,” mission, Greater Expectations is a transitional liaison to develop needed “systems” to help identify and implement “soft skills” into life opportunities for individuals ages 14+ on the autism spectrum and other developmental differences.
Prior to starting the program, the individual/caregiver will:
- Complete Case History/Intake forms
- Have an Informal “Meet & Greet” Meeting with Staff
- Participate in 1-2 Sessions for Required “Rapport Building” Time (45 minutes each, free of cost)
- Complete Initial Assessment and Parent/Caregiver Involvement Information Form
**Participants must be able to read at least on a 7th-grade level and have the ability to independently communicate their wants/needs. Once these items are complete, our staff will determine if the program is suitable for the individual.**
WHAT ARE SOFT SKILLS?
“Soft skills,” also known as “21st-century skills,” are “employable skills” critical in helping people secure and sustain employment.
PERSONALIZED GOALS & PLANS
Our program will create personalized visions and goals using evidence-based practices, guidance from the U.S. Department of Labor, and teaming with parents/caregivers. We’ll use this information to build an individualized plan.
In a safe and fun environment of structure and support, we’ll implement:
- Soft Skills
- Higher Executive Functioning Skills
- Intrapersonal/Interpersonal Skills
- Work Skill Acquisition
- Social Cognition: Awareness
- Sustained Interventions/Supports
This program has 4 Levels and begins by addressing the following areas:
1. Social Thinking
- Building Self-Esteem
- Understanding ASD/DD
- Advocating for Self
- Effective Communication
- Problem Solving
3. Organizational Skills
- Planning for the Future
- Time Management
- Effective Task Execution/Completion
4. Life Skills
- Independent Living (managing daily organizational needs; appointments, schedules, etc.)
- Self-Care (hygiene, etc.)
- Home Management (maintaining a comfortable and clean living space)
Ready to get started? Fill out our application and let’s begin the program!